Subprime Mobile Leasing

The Problem
Our fortune-level telecommunications client came to our team needing a product to enhance their new phone leasing program. The program would focus on the specific customer segment of subprime users with less than optimal credit and a history of poor payment practices. This app would help these users create better payment habits by allowing them to view data on their lease, pay their bill, view credit activity, and integrate with Android Pay.

The Solution
Our team launched a data-informed set of applications focused on the target user. Through research, we found that this particular user needed the simplest experience possible with basic language and assistance throughout. The app interface features a unique, targeted design, which focuses on easy to read typography, helpful data visualizations, and straightforward user flows. The final product was well-received by users, maintaining a 4.4 App Store rating, helping to drive venue by promoting the payment program, and gaining new customers through user engagement.

Product: Android & iOS app, Responsive Microsite
Industry: Telecommunication/Fintech
Agency: Punchkick Interactive

Roles
Design strategy
Information Architecture
User Experience
User Research
Interface Design

1 persona1 persona

Understanding the Target User
Through stakeholder interviews, we recommended creating a simple suite of applications with the primary user goal of viewing and paying bills. Our team began with ethnographic research on the target demographic, sub-prime credit users. We conducted at-home interviews with several participants to learn their personal struggles and needs. After analyzing the data, we created four distinct personas that I would reference throughout the rest of the design process.

4 wires 24 wires 2

User Journey
Influenced by the persona data, I began designing wireframes crafted for the specific user in mind. The flow began with registration, taking the user into the main app where they could view their statement, pay their bill and manage account information. Before we began any sort of testing, I worked with the client to determine the best routes for main flows such as the navigation. 

3 research3 research

User Research
Working with the research team, I devised a user testing plan involving prototypes, "card sorting," and "pic sheets." Rather than producing A/B prototypes, I designed one prototype that I updated on the fly as issues arose. Since we had already determined the overall navigation structure, the prototyping helped determine better patterns for secondary flows such "bill payment."

Through card sorting, we discovered which areas of data were the most important to users. We also learned several segments that needed further explanation or simplified wording. We used pic sheets to help learn more about our target audience. We presented participants with various photos and asked them to select their favorites based on subject and style. This helped us understand not only what visuals our users like but also what sort of themes they relate to.

2 wires2 wires

Iterative User Experience
I learned quickly that the app would contain a large number of use cases based on the various types of customers. Based on the learnings from user testing, I created three comprehensive wireframe maps based on the main types of users. This helped me determine where additional use cases, error states, and missing screens needed to be added in. From here, the team continued user testing, having each participant represent a different type of user to get a more comprehensive set of data.

5 style tiles5 style tiles

Visual Design Exploration
The client requested that the app be uniquely away from the known Sprint identity, focusing on an aspirational feel. Combining this feedback with the users' need for simplicity, I created a variety of style tiles to present. We conducted a final user testing session to determine which visual style resonated best with our target audience. In the end, our users unanimously requested a combination of the styles tiles, featuring a bright color palette, easy to read typography, and helpful data visualizations.

6 androids16 androids1
7 androids27 androids2

Final Interface Designs
After additional work with the client on the UI style, I finalized the uniquely branded design for development. Through user testing, we learned that our audience was drawn to images of people that they could relate too. I incorporated their image choices into the final designs, creating a style that was equal parts image and clear data. With design approved, I worked with the development team through a Design QA phase in order to ensure that the design vision was seen through and that all interaction design was accounted for. The final result included a suite of human-centered products for Android, iOS, and web that was well-received by its users.

8 iPhones8 iPhones
9 Web9 Web